Monday, March 5, 2012

Getting Back on Track


This past weekend was a little different for my family. We really didn't have anything scheduled to do, except for Church. It was nice getting caught up on a few things around the house and do some cleaning. It was good to get the batteries charged and reconnect with my family.


Over the past month or so, I have felt that I have been getting lazy in my walk with Christ, being a serving & loving Husband, being a faithful father and making sure I take a little time for myself. From the naked eye, it wouldn't appear that anything was wrong and maybe it really isn't, but I just felt that I needed a tune up..so to speak.



Some of the things I wanted to get back on track with are:


  1. Time spent with God.

  2. Date nights and quality time with my wife.

  3. Fully engagement and time with my kids.

  4. Working out on a regular basis.

  5. Time for fellowship with other Christians.

  6. Structuring my time to incorporate all those things.

So starting it all of this off on a random Monday can seem overwhelming, so I first wanted to get back on track with working out and managing my time better. In order to do that, I am wanted to be in bed by 10pm and up by 6 or 6:30. This routine enables me to work from 6:00 to 9:30 (included in that time is reading the Bible and working on my Faithful Fathers site). Then while Alicia and the girls head off to LA Fitness I can work out and shower from 9:30 to 11:00.


By being in bed by 10:00pm I can spend some time reading and relaxing with Alicia. I had usually, worked and then crashed...which wasn't working. Plus, getting up early enabled me to start the day on my terms. I also got the support of my amazing wife and said she will boot me out of bed if I hit the snooze button too much!!!


So last night, I went to bed at 10pm and read two chapters in my current book "Uncommon Life" by Tony Dungy. This morning, I got up at 6:30, worked and took conference calls until 10:30. I also read some passages in the bible and spent some time on this blog. Then I decided I was going to go for a 2.5 mile run and then come back and do stretching, push ups, sit ups, etc...



It was cold and grey out so I dressed accordingly. Half way through my run, it started to rain. A few sprinkles here and there wouldn't hurt...so I kept going. Soon after, it began to down pour and I was pretty soaked after a few minutes. My first inclination was how much this sucked and I really should head back and bail on my normal route. But then something came over me, and told me to keep running.



As I kept running I felt God telling me that this rain that I am encountering was on purpose. This rain that I thought was going to ruin my run, was actually a symbol. A symbol of renewal and cleanliness. This rain was washing away the things that I wanted to get rid of and providing me with a new clean mind. As each step I took, the rain soaked my clothes and I felt those thoughts, attitudes and reactions of the past leave...washing away in the drains below. It was freeing focusing my blessings and all that has been provided to me as a gift. Although unfortunate circumstances happen to us like the rain, opportunities arise and it is what you make out of those circumstances that really matter.



To make the moment even more powerful, I was listening exclusively to worship music on this run. I traditionally listen to a many different genera's of music when I run, but circumstances had it that it was the only play list I had. I think another sign that God wanted me to focus on him.



As I came up my driveway, with it still raining, I felt renewed and energized. I can't help but think that this day was in God's plan to help me start clean and move forward. I am now excited and looking forward to continuing to work on my six goals and will no doubt look back on this day where it began.



I would ask you...What is it that needs to be washed away in your life if you just stepped out in the rain?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...